if i make pancakes at home, my husband usually passes…unless it’s these lemon pancakes. he’d rather wait for the good stuff at a restaurant or diner.
because – and i agree with him – it’s hard to get that light and fluffy texture.
unless it’s these lemon pancakes.
one of my dearest friends gave me this recipe a couple of years ago, and it’s become a family favorite. my kids love sweet things, but they often eat these babies without syrup. they are that good.
-makes 15-20ish 3″ pancakes-
(adapted from the joy of cooking)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup millet flour *
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup plain yogurt (non-dairy works equally well)
1/3 cup milk (or milk substitute)
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 large egg
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
* feel free to substitute whole wheat or whole wheat pastry flour,
or even do 1 cup total all-purpose…millet is my favorite here
what to do:
1. whisk first five (dry) ingredients in a large bowl.
2. whisk the remaining (wet) ingredients in another bowl.
3. pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and gently
whisk them together, mixing just until combined.
the batter will be thick and bubbly.
4. melt some butter in a heated skillet. spoon some pancake batter
into skillet, and cook until top of each pancake is speckled with bubbles
and some bubbles have popped. flip pancakes. cook till golden.
5. enjoy the most delicious pancakes you’ve ever made.
…because we all need pancakes once in a while…
sending a little love your way, m