Sometimes I don’t know what to write. I just know that I want to write. Often I stumble through some loose stream-of-consciousness writing. Though there are days when the thought of getting all that on paper exhausts me…before I even start.
And so I turn to lists. Because they’re immediate and they satisfy in a way that pages of longhand never can. Concise. To the point. Right to the heart. No mess and no fanfare. And yet…showing up. Because we have got to show up.
Next week I’m running Just Five Things again. And I can’t wait. Because I love lists. Writing without censure. Welcoming the words that come. Today, I share a list with you. Because I’m unsure what to write. I just know that I want (need) to write.
Five Things I Feel Right Now
1. Guilt. My daughter requested I make Irish soda bread and I have a very small window of time at present. Do I make the bread or do I sit and write? I choose to write. And I know it’s the best choice (that I’m the best choice right now), but the guilt still.creeps.in.
2. The warm sunshine falling onto my desk. Warm. Comforting.
3. Contentment. The kids are in classes right now. Learning. I have an hour to myself. I am also learning (to sometimes choose me).
4. The rush of cold air on my flip-flopped feet as the air conditioning kicks on.
5. Excitement. I’m not sure about what exactly. But I feel it. I welcome it.
Bring it, I say.
So, tell me, if you please…what are you feeling right now?
Sending a little love your way, m
Registration for Just Five Things is open through the end of this week. 10 days of creative list making. 10 days to enjoy a playful writing practice. 10 days to explore and enjoy community. Click here for details and registration. We begin Monday. Join us as we get it down. Without censure.