You know I love lists. Here’s a list of 25 free (or practically free) gifts you can bestow upon others this holiday season. Really, they’re gifts for any time of year. They’re simple and meaningful. Happy gifting…in a simple and meaningful way.
- Give a hug. Then give another one. Maybe a little longer. Maybe a little tighter.
- Bake cookies. Share with a neighbor, with co-workers, with friends.
- Tell someone something you like about them.
- Write a love note. Pop it in the mail, place it on someone’s desk, leave it on a pillow.
- Donate a book to the library.
- Do a secret favor. Don’t tell anyone, just do it. It’s a secret!
- Make something, anything (a card, a piece of toast, a smile). Give it to someone.
- Help without being asked.
- Feed the birds.
- Write a dozen thoughtful letters to someone and tuck them into twelve separate envelopes. Label the envelopes with each month of the year. Gift this collection of letters to someone you love, with instructions for when to open.
- Be patient.
- Donate food to the local food bank.
- Hold the door for a stranger.
- Donate a toy.
- Cook a special meal for someone you love.
- Say thank you (and feel that thank you in your heart).
- Make a handmade card for someone.
- Give a coupon for time spent together (a hike, an evening of knitting, a trip to the museum).
- Donate blood.
- Clip a few sprigs of evergreen, or rosemary, or holly. Tie them with ribbon. Surprise someone.
- Read a story aloud. With your kids, with a friend. It might feel funny at first (with someone other than a child), but it’s really kind of grand.
- Listen closely to others, and try not to interrupt.
- Make someone a cup of hot cocoa. Or tea. Or coffee. Sit with them while they enjoy it.
- Make an inspiration jar by writing inspirational quotes on strips of paper, tucking them into a jar, and tying with a ribbon.
- Give more hugs. Because I don’t believe there can ever be too many hugs in this world.
Do you have gift ideas to add to this list of simple and meaningful?
I’d love to hear…
always the love, m